Mirror adjustment

How many of you are like me? You have days where you know your attitude is anything but polite. These are the days where you know silence is better than speaking because if you speak everything dictating your emotions will explode. Come on now I know I am not the only one!
Yesterday was such a day for me. I knew if I said anything it wasn't going to show my normally encouraging and happy self. It is also on those days where I know my attitude is completely off and days like those I know I just need to go back to bed and spend some raw time with Jesus. However I still had to work and for some reason on such days I seem to attract all the customers who can't read the invisible "please do not push buttons" sign.
Later that evening I went to my second job which I figured would be a quick and an easy night. I should laugh at myself for even thinking that with where I knew I was at. I headed back to the shop where I was handed what I'll call the mirror project. This customer wanted mirrors turned into picture frames. I began ripping the paper off the back, now how many of you know when you rip off the paper backing what's inside is exposed? Same exact thing with our attitudes! Now I can see the amounts of heavy glue this mirror is stuck to.
I begin trying to cut through the clue with a blade. I am trying to scrape this hard glue with a flat head, and as I would get some off it would reveal how difficult this process would be. Now I'm tired, impatient, and frustrated. Of course at this moment a customer comes to drop off more of the same project, and isn't the most delightful so to speak.
I return to the back of the shop where I'm tearing apart this mirror and trying not to break the glass. I really wanted to just take a hammer to the glass and be done, but I knew that wouldn't solve anything. At this point I was evaluating my attitude and why I was so irrational and emotional that day. I was centered around circumstances that no matter how hard I tried; I can't do anything to resolve. As I scraped the glue the Lord tells me this is what a hard heart looks like. We allow our hearts to harden to the point where nothing can get in. Boom! He told me the only way through a hard heart is to soften it. I needed a heat gun to melt the glue. You can't fix a heart that is hard, you have to humble and allow the hard heart to soften.
As the glue heated I watched it melt and become easier to scrape and cut through. I looked at the heat gun and immediately thought "Holy Spirit". We need the conviction of the Holy spirit to speak and soften our hearts. We can not do it with out Him. As I made progress I realized it was still going to be a long process, but now I am learning through it.
Minutes later my boss appears and evaluates the project only to say "I think we're going about this all the wrong way". He takes the tools and my gloves and flips the mirror. I am not even kidding when I say as he heated it from the opposite side and applied pressure, the weight of the mirror did the rest. Gravity! Seconds it took him! Up to that point two hours for myself. I stepped back as he did the next one and again the Lord spoke to me. It's okay to ask for help. You can't do it alone. You need to call for help.
You see often we try to be strong and hold it all together. If you're like me, you try to encourage and be there for everyone you love. You want to take their pain away. In this process we obtain a weight that was never ours to bare. When the circumstances around us cloud our judgement, or make it impossible to see beyond; we need to call on His name.
How many know if I hadn't swallowed my own pride and I hadn't stilled my heart to listen, then I'd still be back in the shop trying to cut through the glue? If I hadn't surrendered that situation I might still be angry and bitter, but anger and bitterness is only a mask which really isn't doing anything, but revealing the pain you're trying to hide. I believe the Lord was saying if you just call on Me then I will answer. If you call on Me then I will deliver you, I will rescue you from the hand of the enemy.
We don't have to carry the weight of the world, when Jesus already carried all the weight years ago. When we pick up the burdens and the worries of our circumstances, then we are allowing the weight of those circumstances to out weigh what Jesus already bore. His promises and His word are still more powerful than any painful or trying circumstances, and if we too would call on His name then we can walk in complete peace.

Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV) “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Comments

Popular Posts