Teen Camp 2014

This week was probably one of the best weeks that I've had all summer!
Teen camp wrap up time. The summer has been drawing to an end, but even right at the end God had a plan to bring an incredible young man in for the final two weeks. This kid is mirror reason of why I love working with teens Yes he often acts as if he is the big stuff, but when a little kid needs help; everything else goes out the window. There was one time when we we're playing dodge ball against the Elementary kids; he just he asks permission to switch teams to help the little girl who was remaining. This kid acts like he could be my little brother. In fact at one point we started the whole pretending to be Really cool...(yeah I know I can only try).. anyway I would say " what up dog?" and he would respond "what up cat". He is a very compassionate, gentle, and extremely loving kid. I had a few of these boys this summer and by the end I was almost in tears because I knew it was coming to an end.

It was interesting because with the girls they would curl up next to me as I read to them, yank on my arms, give me hugs, and they wanted that mother's nurturing, but the boys wanted that mother's love and attention. All these kids wanted one thing LOVE. I don't know how many of them made comments about how I act like a mom. Best compliment! I believe every dollar spent on these kids this summer where seeds being planted into their lives. Many times conversations of Jesus came up and the holy spirit just took it from there. Everything I gave to these kids no matter the sacrifice; it was worth it. I have never worked with a group of kids that made me feel this much love for them, to where I wanted to give them the whole world.

Every single one of these kids are precious to me. I know I may be strict and I like to follow instructions, but that is only because I want you to be safe. I realize that this is just a short time with them, but I pray they saw Jesus through me. One boy wanted to know Jesus and I was able to get him a Bible just for him. I had one kid who was introduced to a christian rapper. One boy who the first time I met him 2 year ago I was like "Oh NO" and now I welcome him in. One other who likes to squeak his plastic pig in my ear. A girl who longs for attention so much that she hangs on me and drives me nuts. I have another one who curls up beside me just to read to her, or so she can jump on me. One who sings with her very talented vocals to the top of her lungs. One who taught me how to make bracelets. One who for some reason wasn't even in teen camp, but yet would wait for me to arrive at work, and another one who started following me around the pool. I have a boy who would just look at me and I would burst in to laughter. One who would just tell me that I killed it with every joke I tried to share. I have seen servers, gentleman, and protectors this summer. I have seen teenagers who are real! I have seen soo many incredible goofy and hilarious moments, serious count to 3 moments, and big hugs goodbye moments. I love these kids and I have learned a lot from them. They have called me out of fear and challenged me to go on amusement park rides. Mostly THEY have been mirror examples of God's LOVE to me. I wish them all the best as they continue on in middle school and then high school. I know whatever they choose to do; they will far pass succeed.


There was a point where I stopped thinking I was at work and I just began to have fun, and that is all thanks to my incredible group of Teens! Guys I have a feeling you will remember the Katerina LOOK!



Comments

Popular Posts