The End with Meaning!

The summer camp wrap was a complete blast!
I walked in Monday morning not really knowing what kids to expect and to a great surprise God gave me three of my teen campers. I was so excited that I was able to share yet another week with them. I spoiled them! Although there was one boy specifically that hasn't left my heart. God has given me a love for this kid that I can't shake. I continued to pray for him, and next thing I knew his sister started gluing herself to my side. One day in the pool she wanted to go to the deep end, but she couldn't reach; I became her ride. She decided she wanted to pretend to be Rose soaring from the Titanic. I was like what on earth is going on?  This kid acts like my little brother and now his sister. I knew there was something the Lord was trying to reveal to me because all I kept hearing in my spirit is "love my son." As the end of the week drew near I continued to pray over these kids and shortly then the  Lord gave me a word for them. This one kid I felt as though he didn't have a solid mother figure in his life, and he was desperately longing for it. The more the holy spirit would reveal to me, the more it was confirmed. Wednesday night the Lord gave this precious word about his son (this one boy) and I didn't know what any of it fully meant, or if he would receive it. I continued to pray about giving it to him and the last day of camp the Lord provided an opportunity to share it with him. I asked him if he believes God will speak to you and he said yes. I told him as I was praying over the teens the holy spirit gave me this word for him. After he read it, he came back with a completely different demeanor.
 
 
As we continued to play and joke around it was time to head out to our field trip. On any regular day I would have driven the bus, but I woke up that morning not wanting to drive; I was soon to find out why. As we went to get on the bus this kid yells back and asks if he can come with me. In my heart I was asking God what is with this kid that he wants to be with me? As we got on the bus there wasn't enough room, so our seats ended up getting moved. How did he end up next to me? Once again I was soon to find out this was a divine moment. I asked him "what was it that you told me you wanted to share with me?" He was trying to remember what it was, and all of a sudden he started sharing with me about his family. He could remember the moment the abuse started, the time, date, and details. I could see the pain in his eyes. The deep pain in his heart, a pain that can only be healed by the healing hand of Jesus. Here on this short bus ride this kid pours his heart out to me and confides in me about something I am sure he doesn't share with many. He continued to tell me that the abuse turned from his parent then on to him. He shared with me how much he loves his sister and how he has been the protector fighting for her. The more he shared the clearer the words the Lord gave me came to light. This kid would do anything to fight for the ones he loves. He is a leader. He is a warrior. He has seen much pain in his life, but he chooses to forgive. Everything I was asking God to reveal was all coming to light. I was able to spend the majority of the day just hanging out with the kids.
 
It came time for my shift to be over and I was not ready to leave yet. God wasn't done yet. I was able to stay an extra shift for my friend. The minute the other counselors left I was like "Oh it's on NOW!" My three teens and I went head to head in a soccer came. Apparently I get very competitive! I was having a blast. I could feel as 5:00 pm hit because most the kids were gone, and this one kid's demeanor changed again. I could discern it. Something wasn't right, and I knew in my spirit that he wasn't alright. His smile diminished, and when he did laugh it was a fake sort of laugh. When the one girl's mom came much to my surprise she came and threw her arms around me. What? Your mom just got here and it's me you come hug? The boy and his sibling were the last to leave. As he was getting ready and asking if he could leave I could sense a sadness in him. He was distant. He walked up to me and gave me this high five: Bro style, and typically that meant I almost would fall over, but this was such a weak high five and a very sad goodbye. As I watched the last to leave I asked God " Daddy what is in this boys heart?" I asked him to show me this boys heart. I asked him to show me why this boy is so heavy on my heart.
 

 It's been a week now and God has continued to leave this boy's imprint on my heart. God continues to tell me to intercede on his behalf, and he continues to confirm the words he has spoken and the truth they hold. I know this boy is not the only boy that will come in to my life, but God used him in my life in so many different ways. You see this boy is example of why I feel led to youth ministry. There are many children who have been abused, seen their parents getting abused, been through families with heavy addiction, and there are many children who have never fully had the opportunity to be a kid and not have to grow up so fast. There are children who have never heard the words I love you, and there are many who hear the words but see it with the meaning of a backside of a hand across their face, or a fist or foot in the stomach. There are many of these kids out there in our schools, sports teams, and churches and they need to "SEE" the hand of Jesus. We can be the hand of JESUS to these kids. We can offer a smile, a warm high five, and a listening ear. Also I have learned an ice cream cone goes along way! Love is a sacrifice and sometimes we have to give in order to see the hand of God move in someone's life. I do not have much to give, but what I do have I freely would give it All just to see these kids smile and be able to enjoy themselves freely. Just because someone wears name brand clothes, has really cool shoes, has two parents, and lives in a fancy home doesn't mean anything. These kids come from the streets to the mansions. There is no real way to know. Take time and invest in your children, or if you're single and God has placed kids in your life...INVEST your time, heart, and yes! It does include money, but it is worth every seed. Try it!
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts