What lays behind the scene

You see me as a beggar and a thief
What your human eyes perceive is a poor lazy man begging on the street
You see the tattered clothing and the dirt stained hands
but there is much more to what lays behind this old man

You see once I believed in dreams and goals
I served this country long ago
I lost my leg fighting in the are
fighting for your honor
fighting just to be told I am worth nothing anymore

You see me as a woman just trying to shoot another score
A woman begging on the street who is just another whore
Your eyes can't see that yet I beg on the street
It' s just so my baby has another bite to eat.
You see me as a man holding a sign
an elderly man who brings you fear as you drive by
You don't know all I long for is to have my home
A place of protection away from rejection
A warm meal to eat
and a shower so I can be clean

You see
all you see is what your human eyes perceive
I am not just a man begging on the street
I was once a soldier fighting for you to be free
I am not just a woman trying to get high
but I was an abused woman fighting for her life
Years of abuse and hidden black eyes
too afraid that one day I may die
His punches have hurt and killed all my pride

You see me as just another person who should die
but don't you see I am just another ordinary guy.
I have a story one to be told
I lost my home
my job and my bride
Married for 40 years and then she died
I always thought the pain would subside,
but I couldn't handle reality, so I chose to hide
I lost everything that I held dear and now I'm begging complete strangers to care

You see me as the mama who doesn't care
but you don't realize I have been fighting for years
three jobs and still not enough to provide
a one bedroom apartment on the south side
You see me high but you don't realize
I'm exhausted from working late nights
A Single mom fighting for her babies to have a better life

We are not all the same
yet we are all chosen by God
and given specific names
Humanity sees us
assumes we don't care
The reality is we hold back the tears
Life is hard
but it's a gift and if we stay strong
If we love hard
and we give
We too will see others not as ordinary
But God's perfect gifts.

Comments

Popular Posts