Kindling Fire- Gossip

As I watched the burning box disintegrate from the flames this is the vision that came to me. Gossip that thing where it is so easy to discuss people, or situations that we know has nothing to do with us. I had this image of a three story brick house that caught on fire. The fire kept reigniting with everything it came across in the house, until there was nothing left to burn. The house was burnt to the ground. That is exactly what gossip does. It ruins and destroys. It ignites every time and spreads like a fire. The tongue is a very powerful tool that we have been given.  The tongue can be a deadly arrow (Jeremiah 9:8). We have the power to choose life or death with our words. As James 3 talks about; the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet if we continue to look it is compared to that of a forest fire (3:5). It is compared to the beasts, birds, reptiles, and creatures of the sea. These creatures can be tames, but no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison (3:7-9). We speak praises while yet cursing those around us. This is powerful. As a young kid you are told "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me" this is a lie! Words hurt, and how we speak to others and about others can either cause a person to blossom, or destroy them. You may think oh I'm so frustrated I need to vent, but really we should be going to that person. What you share is never %100 safe with anyone other than God. It comes out and when it does it destroys. I have struggled with this and it is hard to bite your tongue. We have to choose our words wisely. I recommend you to read James 3. Renew your mind with the word and watch how your conversations change.






Comments

Popular Posts